Evening meetings of the Nicola Naturalist Society are held once a month from September through May. We generally meet at 7PM on the third Thursday of the month in the Lecture Theatre of NVIT (Nicola Valley Institute of Technology) on Belshaw Road, Merritt. Admission is free to members. Refreshments are provided and we have awesome raffles.
Field Outings are usually held in spring, summer and fall and are listed below. Members will receive e-mail notices too. Field trips are restricted to members (but visitors can sign up as a member for the day for a nominal fee).
NNS members are eligible to attend BC Nature camps, meetings and other events. Click this link to get more details: BC Nature.
Upcoming events - spring 2013
- Thursday May 23rd, 7 PM at the Merritt Civic Centre – Bernie Fandrich (Kumsheen Raft Adventures): British Columbia’s Majestic Thompson River. (Note the change in venue for the May meeting). A joint meeting with the Nicola Valley Explorers – see the link below for more information
- Saturday May 25th, 9:30 AM – Amphibian Project Workshop & Field Outing. Merritt Civic Centre, Room 1. Meet with the Biolinx Environmental Research biologists who are guiding our Amphibian Monitoring Project. Review the past 2 years of this project and the plans for 2013. Learn more about our local frogs, toads and salamander. Workshop at the Civic Centre to be followed by a frogging outing – bring a lunch and gumboots. This event is open to the public, but volunteers are asked to join the Nicola Naturalist Society to cover insurance on field trips.
- Sunday June 2nd, 8 AM to 3 PM – Grasslands Birding.
Meet at Merritt Civic Centre parking lot. Novice birders welcome. Our late spring birding outing to the Douglas Lake grasslands is always popular. Bring binos and a lunch. Spotting scopes will be available. Our route will likely cover Pennask Lk Rd, Minnie Lk Rd and Douglas Lk Rd. There should be lots of breeding activity, the wetland areas will be full of birds and we should encounter some of the grassland specialties like Swainson’s Hawk, Horned Lark and Clay-coloured Sparrow.
- Weekend of 14-16 June – Manning Park Bird Blitz. Organized by the Hope Mountain Centre and BC Nature, this event has been run for 30 years and attracts novice and expert birders. If there is interest we will arrange car-pooling for NNS members from Merritt to Manning Park. More information here: Manning Park Bird Blitz link
Click on any of the links below to see details of upcoming Nicola Naturalist Society events:
- “British Columbia’s Majestic Thompson River” by Bernie Fandrich. Thursday 23rd May 2013, 7PM at Merritt Civic Centre
Information on past events:
- Burrowing Owls – Thursday 17 Feb 2011, 7 PM at NVIT
- Bear Awareness – Thursday 17 March 2011, 7 PM at NVIT
- Painting with Light: Creativity in Outdoor Photography – Thursday 21 April, 7 PM at NVIT
- NNS field outing on 26 June 2010
- Grizzly Bear Conservation in Southwest BC – Thursday 7 April at NVIT
- Cowboy Country Critters – by Jared Hobbs. Tuesday Oct 19, 2010
- Bunchgrass, Buzztails, and Burrowers: conserving our native grassland predators – 18 Nov 2010
- Wonders of the High Arctic in a Changing Climate – 13 January 2011 at NVIT
- NNS Amphibian Workshop a big success, 14-16 May 2011
- Birding outing held on 11 June 2011
- Across the top of Russia: wildlife adventures on the Northeast Passage – 17 November 2011, 7 PM at NVIT
- Winter bird identification workshop – Saturday 10 December 2011, 12-2 PM
- Amphibians in peril: conserving frogs in a changing world – 26th January 2012, 7 PM at NVIT
- Merritt Christmas Bird Count – 2 January 2012
- Restoring Nature in the Thompson Highlands – Thursday 16th February, 7 PM in the NVIT Lecture Theatre
- What we don’t know about mosquitoes: West Nile Virus research in the Nicola Valley. Thursday 15th March, 7 PM at NVIT
- Gardening with native plants in the Southern Interior – an evening with author Eva Durance. Thursday 19 April, 7 PM at NVIT
- “Sharkwater” – award-winning feature documentary. Wednesday March 28th, 7 PM at NVIT theatre
- Snowy visit to Harmon Lake Interpretive Forest – photo gallery
- Workshop: Basics of Using a GPS – with Murphy Shewchuk. Saturday 21 April, 1 PM at NVIT, room U029
- Visit to the Harmon Interpretive Forest – 26 May 2012
- Photos from the Harmon Interpretive Forest outing – 26 May 2012
- Birding outing to the Douglas Lake grasslands and Beaver Ranch Flats – Sunday 16 September, 8 AM – 3PM
- Annual General Meeting and Members’ Photo Night – Thursday 20 Sep 2012, 7 PM at NVIT
- “Raptors of Canada” with John Neville. Wednesday 10 October 2012, 7 PM at NVIT lecture theatre:
- “Forestry in the Nicola Valley: Managing for Multiple Values” with Aline Lachapelle & Jenn Reid. Thursday Nov 15, 7 PM NVIT Theatre
- “Bats – Creatures of the Night” – with Dr. David Kerridge. Thursday 17 January 2013, 7 PM at NVIT
- “Eradication of High Risk Invasives in the Thompson Drainage” by Steve Maricle. Thursday 21st February 2013, 7 PM – NVIT lecture theatre
- Merritt Christmas Bird Count Results – 16 December 2012
- “Williamson’s Sapsuckers: the Weird, the Wily and the Wonderful” – with Les Gyug. Thursday 21st March 2013, 7PM at NVIT Theatre
- “Ecology of the Great Basin Spadefoot at its Northern Limit” by Jocelyn Garner. Thursday 18th April 2013, 7PM at NVIT Theatre